Tuesday, May 22, 2012

The Lost Art of Patriotism

Why We Need to Consider What We are Not Teaching..

Last Sunday, I stood with Linda a scout grandma, and BSA 201 troop secretary as we watched our troop place 300 flags at the cemetery. We were both in awe as the boys, most 11 and 12 place them at graves of soldiers. These boys were reverent, and trying hard to be like the "big boys" in the troop. I suddenly realised that I had never really spoken to my own son about flag care, and the way Americans value Old Glory.. I knew this when I saw my son set his flags aside to place one in a marker that was a bit off center. He was trying to set it straight and needed both hands. While I am a believer in being a world wide citizen, I also believe in being respectful of soldiers that give their lives for freedom in the USA. I have my freedom because of them, the gift they have given me has enabled me to establish an education, and a home. I know that patriotism is a double edged sword. If it is used to oppress people, or harm the rights we so firmly believe in, then I won't support it. Adolph Hitler used that kind of "Blind Patriotism" to nearly extinguish a nation of innocent people. Patriotism that welcomes home soldiers who fight for others safety, independence and freedom, I welcome..... Patriotism that asks us to believe in the "American Dream".. having choices in education, home ownership, and capitalism, freedom of religion (not just Christianity).. that I believe in... I realize that many of our kids have NO IDEA what this means... or why it even matters...

When I was young, it seemed that an American solider was given much more respect. People would shake hands with them, give a seat up, or smile with gratitude. Parades had a slew of soldiers from many eras. Flags flew at almost every business. Now it is viewed as fanatical to have too many stars and stripes  decorations. Sharing  too much about the war is a hush-hush thing for the men and women who come home. Many soldiers are treated as second class citizens after they come home (see my PT SD blog from April, and soldier testimonies there in).The care that our military receives after war is often poor, unregulated and many soldiers have a hard time getting jobs. Giving honor to our military should not take death, or a disfiguring wound (mental or physical) for them to have the honor they deserve. The service they give should be recognized, simply because they have done for us by serving.  When the chips are all laid out we all talk about this kind of stuff, but no one really does anything about it. I personally have no massive solution, but I am putting this out there to try to invoke attention to some one who might be able to fix this. For my own family I am trying to at least let my kids know why soldiers are important, and what it means to be an American, and a citizen in the world. I have friends in many nations who crave the freedom we have here.  I can't mail gifts to friends in some nations becasue thier mail gets opened, and they get taxed to receive it. Others I cannot visit because being a woman puts me in immediate danger. I have the right to dress and speak as I please. I can be openly critical of the the goverment if they anger me. I can elect officials if I so choose. This is not so for many of my counter parts in the world wide community....

 In coming to care about life, we need to look at the way we value freedom. We also need to think about what we are teaching our kids about respect and value for American soldiers, and America. It is easy to preach our beliefs about freedom, but we also have to teach our kids about the cost of how we obtained it. They need to know that the respect we give to others who serve us should be shown with gratitude, and reverence. Patriotism should never be blind or without meaning, it should be given out of knowledge of what someone has done for us. It should not be reserved for a particular branch of the armed forces. I know people from all faiths, races, and branches, that serve America in uniform. They have all sacrificed equally. With equal regard we should give them our thanks..














No comments:

Post a Comment