Thursday, April 16, 2015

Grace in Places We Don't Expect, Angels in the Office, A Tribute to Mrs. Kinney

Angels in the Office, A Tribute to Mrs. Kinney


15 years ago I moved back to Vassar to live. It was a tough time. My husband and I had two kids in diapers and one of them was brand new. My husband and I were in the class of "working poverty".  My husband and I both worked until my son was seriously ill and had development delays as a result. I never imagined the hardships that we would endure back then. We had to get help with bills, insurance, food, and many things. How badly we wanted to take care of ourselves, it just never seemed to happen no matter how hard we worked. When my son was ill, I had to stop working full time. 

Many times we hear the horror stories of dealing with caseworkers and with office workers from government agencies, unless you have lived it though, it is hard to fathom. If you have ever waited in line for food, jumped trough the hoops of medicaid, food stamps, or assistance of any kind, you know that people who have abused the system before you have created a bureaucratic nightmare. They also have created a personal nightmare for people who are not used to being treated with suspicion or talked to as if they have always lived in the system. The world in which we live has taken away dignity and grace from the vulnerable. Often times those who have charge over the care of  a large group of people in need, develop a lack of sensitivity due to overwhelming amounts of case loads. Sometimes they speak in "on house language" and tend to make people just a part of the herd trying to get through the day. While they are supposed to help people better their lives, they can be a huge source of degrading behavior when the sensitivity wears off.

There are angels in places we least expect them though, even at DHS.. and I know one very well. 
The very first time I met with Mrs. Kinney I felt very different from the other times I met someone at a government agency. She looked at me when she spoke to me, and never made faces reading my paper work. She always encouraged me and made me feel like we were making progress when others me made feel "just less". I felt well, human for the first time since I was pregnant for my son and in need of medicaid. People have no idea how hard it is to ask for help, and to admit that you are not making it alone. 

The cubicles that are used at DHS for meetings with workers are more so temporary intake places rather than an actual work space. They can feel cold and very impersonal. Now days people often get only a phone call or a pile of paperwork to send in the mail. It is hard to ever feel that you are something more than just a number in this respect. I know that Mrs. Kinney is a bright and shinning star in a place where people often want to be any place but there because she made you feel welcome in these little cookie cutter cubicles. She always spoke to my kids and thanked them for being good when they went with me. 

I know that for a long time she has spoke of retiring this year and is giving one more year as a supervisor instead of much deserved time off. I just want to take my hat off and say thanks so much for bringing dignity to people who are considered "the least of these" in our community. People like you have made life still worth living and fighting for in tough times. In a world where people desperately need to know that caring people exist, you do your part to fulfill that need. Thanks so much for showing grace to people in an unexpected place and for being and angel in your office. ~ Jos







No comments:

Post a Comment