Friday, April 6, 2012

World Conference: Why you are needed!

I am thinking today about the Birthday of the church. We are in preparation as well for the 2013 World Conference. As I write this, I am looking at the picture taken of myself, and a man I called "Uncle Richard".  Richard was an organist, a piano player, and a dedicated usher to the World Conferences. He worked faithfully during the day to serve the high priest quorum that met at Stone Church. He gave up his evenings to organize the offerings for the upper level of the conference chambers.  For 22 days he would go and be of service in April for the church. The last two conferences I was his assistant, it is not an easy job finding so many people to pass out bulletins, or to carry offering baskets... I'll tell you why later.

I met Richard when I was a teenager. He was engaged to my Grandma's best friend, Wilma. One day when he was playing the piano, I asked him if we could play some hymns together, since I played flute. So many times I asked him about getting a photo with him for my scrap book. We did many duets, and many conferences together. Richard always said the time wasn't right. Before the last conference however, Richard had been battling cancer. I knew he wasn't feeling well, and he told me he had put off some treatment so he would be well enough to serve one last time. I teased Richard, and told him he couldn't leave me to deal with grandma and Wilma alone. (Even though they are without a doubt two of my favorite people.). It didn't matter. Richard told me the last day that he wanted a photo. Sister Kim took our picture, inside I was crying.

Richard became my uncle at conference in 2000. I was pregnant with my daughter Dorothy, and very uncomfortable. I sat with Richard upstairs waiting for the services to end, so that I could prop my swollen feet. I speak a few languages, and some of the people from Tahiti were asking how we knew each other. My French at the time was very rusty, and it was easier to say he was my uncle, instead of a close friend of the family, because I could not explain. A huge hole in my heart aches thinking about how Uncle Richard did so much, and next time he won't be there to sit with..

People like Richard, are needed to make our conferences a success. Richard's main qualification wasn't some degree in ushering or event planning. It came from his willingness to help his wife serve the church. She is the head usher for all of the Auditorium, where our meetings are held. She has to organize seating,  keep track of  offering baskets, seating charts, badges, bulletins and materials in many languages. The list is very long, and not even complete. For what ever reason in the minds of people they place a certain ranking on what jobs people do. For example, people seem to think that a certain priesthood office, or having one at all, gives someone more importance over another. In our faith community everyone is important, everyone has a part!. Often times when I would ask people about ushering for a section, and people would reply, "I am not a deacon, or I don't live in Independence". They had no idea that this kind of job was open to all who were able. The qualifications to usher at conference are two things, willing hands, loving hearts! For some who may think that being an Apostle or a member of the First Presidency raises them up in some way, I want you to know that Steve Veazy waited on my sister hand and foot at reunion two years ago. He mopped up spills from her five children and his wife Cathi helped carry dishes to the dish room, for many meals. Sister Stassi my Apostle, has sat in the kitchen at camp chopping onions, and celery.. she makes cornbread stuffing that is fantastic! Yes, I just said an Apostle did kitchen duty. There is no job in the church that they are above doing.  Seventys Bob Borkowski, and John Wight chopped soup veggies and laughed and smiled, while I sang goofy songs to them..They are people who may have a tremendous amount of responsibility, but they are still people.  We have to get it out of our minds that we have nothing to offer at Conferences or church events of any kind. The Temple, and Auditorium are every one's home congregation.In Community of Christ, we are a fence row community, and not a ladder. When things need to be done, if any stake in the fence is broken, the whole church feels that break. Although we have a ways of handling some processes to keep order, the work of our hands holds no ranks, or stars.

I assist Wilma because I can speak a few words in many languages now. I can't really serve in translations because my skills don't allow for it, how ever I can give simple directions, give the time, and help people find their way places in some of the languages used at Conference. Sometimes I walk five or six miles a day just to find some one or something! You too can do these things! There are so many things that need to be done that only require the willing. Teens can serve in the Youth Ministry division. Adults can work at lost and found, and as badge check helpers for business sessions.

Please. as you plan for your next year, consider the possibilty that you have a gift the conference needs! If you want to know what to do, call the Auditorium, and ask if there are positions to be filled, and know that at World Conference 2013, YOU ARE NEEDED!





No comments:

Post a Comment